Sunday, 10 February 2013

Lace Envelope



Over at  Counterfeit Kits, one of the talking points was about making arrows and bags.... weeell I thought I'll leave the arrows alone and might make a bag from a doily, but ended up going with  an envelope, a process  that got me thinking how I could make one so delicate from a square paper lace doily.
So I had a go and made it up as I went along with no template - and gladly - it worked out!



I cant give exact measurement (I'm never one for measuring anyhows) and all paper doilies are different, mine is a vintage one I believe so I imagined what an envelope template would look like and just took a punt that it would turn out...
First, I did fold the outer-sides towards the middle (thirds) so the edges would meet and I could gain a judgement on where to cut
Bottom end cut out - this will be glued

Top end cut out - this will be the opening.


I slid a bit of cardboard inside while I was gluing the bottum flap up and the vertical middle together so it wouldnt seep through and stick to the opposite side.



Isnt it delicate looking!



Just one simple MME brad finished it off beautifully



It really took all of about 10 minutes to make.

--------------------------------------------------------



Today Paige played in concert 'Vivaldi's Four Seasons - and her solo part was 'Summer'
 She was just amazing especially backed by a wonderful violinist, violas, cellos and harp
I felt so proud as she played so fast and for so long - it was amazing!
And I managed to get a quick grab photo - not the best.. but at least I have it!


xx


17 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Your envelope is beautiful!! WOW!! And congrats to Paige!! That is wonderful!!

sandi said...

Wow! This is simply beautiful! So clever....who would have thought that the doily would be a perfect bag!

Zanka said...

The envelope is divine, what a brilliant idea!

Julia said...

Beautiful envelope!!!

Lizzyc said...

Wow how soft and delicate and sooo pretty!!

Lizzy Hill said...

That's an amazing envelope - lovely shabby chic idea! And well done Paige - my DH LOVES classical music....we heard this done in the Royal Albert Hall in London - all the orchestra dressed in period costume, & candles for lighting. It was pretty amazing [part of the Proms]...maybe one day Paige will play there:):):)

Julene Matthews said...

Clever idea for a doiley,also works with cones.Congratulations Paige.

glorygirl said...

Wow! Fabulous envelope! Sooooooo pretty!!! I've got bunches of doilies and might just have to try this one!

Angela Coles said...

that is so pretty, thank you for showing how you made it.

and congrats to Paige

Jimjams said...

Now *that* is a great use of a doily! Pinning for future use - TFS

Jennifer Grace said...

That envelope is amazing, so delicate and lovely! x

Lisa said...

what a wonderful doily envelope. I don't have such pretty designs! What will you use it on?

Chipper said...

That is a stunning envelope. I am not an arrow fan either.

Julie H said...

Oh what a fabulous envelope! Love, love, love it!

Clair said...

That envelope is just so pretty!

Andrea Ockey Parr said...

Yep. I am pretty much in love with that envelope! Thanks for inspiring me to see lace in a whole new way and for the great tutorial on how it was done! You definitely have skills- no doubt about it!

li-bee-ti said...

WTG with this lacy envelope! simply gorgeous!
And big congrats to Paige! she looks so lovely. You're a real proud mom :))